Pro-Fit Physiotherapy runs weekly Pilates classes every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 7:00pm.Pilates aims to increase muscle flexibility, strength and endurance while focusing on the activation of deep stabilizing muscles, so that movement is performed off a solid, stable base.
Stabilityof the muscles around the hips, back, shoulders and neck areextremely important as vast amounts of force transfer through these points on a daily basis. Dysfunctions of the muscles and joints around these vulnerable areas have the potential to lead to a variety of common painful conditions (Low Back Pain, shoulder instability, neck pain etc). Pilates works hand in hand with Physiotherapy, as it not only rehabilitates present complaints, but it can be used as a preventative measure to decrease chances of injury.
On top of its therapeutic advantages, Pilates is also used as a general fitness tool to tone muscle and increase the metabolism around areas that commonly accumulate fat, making it a great body-shaping program.
The rundown of a typical class can include:
- Perfect posture training. Positions to be remembered at home, at work or during your commute
- A stretching regime of commonly tight muscles and specific muscle groups for the class
- Activation exercises that can focus on the deep neck stabilizers, shoulder stabilizers, core or pelvic floor
- Strengthening of Abdominal core muscles
- Exercises of peripheral muscle groups to improve strength, endurance, tone and function
- Cool down stretches