Ask our physiotherapists how they can help you
Why does the pelvic floor weaken?
There are many reasons why your muscles become weak.
Here are some of the reasons why women may suffer from it:
- Pregnancy hormones can cause your pelvic floor muscles to stretch.
- Pregnancy places a lot of stress on your pelvic floor. It can become weak and stretched from as early as 12 weeks into your pregnancy.
- Constipation, which is common in pregnant women, puts even more stress on pelvic floor muscles.
- Vaginal delivery of your baby can stretch your pelvic floor muscles, which don’t automatically snap back into place afterwards. An episiotomy (surgical cut made to help get the baby out) can also weaken it.
- Being overweight.
- Persistent heavy lifting.
- Menopause can further weaken the pelvic floor muscles and even lead to a prolapse of your pelvic organs.
Pelvic floor rehabilitation may include:
- Assessment of your pelvic floor
- Specially designed strengthening program
- Isolation of pelvic floor muscles
- Use of biofeedback or muscle stimulation
- Release of muscle tension in your pelvic floor muscles
- Behavioural changes
20 Min FREE Women's Health Assessment
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Pro-Fit Physio & Allied Health Centre offers 20 mins free assessment for women's health starting from 1 July 2021 - valid until 30 September 2021. | The standard non-promotional cost of the Women's health assessment is $94 | The offer is applicable only for new patients | Patients must mention receiving the email or seeing our ad on Google, Facebook or Bing | The Women's health assessment is conducted by licensed physiotherapists.