Ask one of our physitherapists how they can help you
What is a Remedial Message?
Remedial massage involves massaging the target soft tissues of the body to ease muscle tension and speed up relaxation. Unlike other types of massage therapies, remedial massage is geared towards evaluating, locating, repairing and repositioning damaged areas of the body accordingly.
Remedial massage is used for rehabilitation purposes and can help to:
- Relieve muscle stiffness and cramps resulting from daily stress
- Treat inflammation of joints (arthritis) and spine (spondylitis)
- Reduce pain, including post exercise pain
- Treat sports and other injuries, foster faster healing
- Improve circulation of blood and movement of lymph fluids
- Treat pre-natal aches and pains
- Reduce the risk of future injury
- Strengthen the immune system
- Reduce headaches
- Improve posture
- Improve sleep
- Reduce stress and aid relaxation
- Increase awareness of the mind-body connection
What are the Health Benefits of Remedial Message?
1. Restores Flexibility and Mobility
By helping iron out any trigger points and loosening taut muscles, remedial massage can cause the attached joints to become more flexible and mobile.
2. Helps Stimulate Blood Flow
Remedial massage helps realign the muscle fibers. This realignment alleviates muscle spasm that helps minimise the pressure on blood vessels. The outcome is increased blood flow to the damaged/affected muscle. (1)
3. Promotes Mental Relaxation
Massage aids in minimising emotional and physical stress. The touch in massage induces chemical changes in your body that lower the stress hormone cortisol and drive out stress. (2,4)
4. Boosts Mental Alertness
Remedial massage also releases some chemicals, which help with fatigue and brain fog. In addition, a deep, restful sleep induced by massage makes you feel more alert the following day. (5)
5. Shortens the Muscle Recovery Time
After a workout, waste products like lactic acid tend to accumulate in muscles, giving rise to muscle soreness and fatigue.(2) The increased blood flow to these muscles helps flush out toxins and cut the amount of time a muscle takes to heal after an injury or workout.
6. Freeing the Nerve from Compression
Massaging the tight, shortened muscles along with some gentle stretching to re-arrange the muscle fibers,(2) may help release the compression. Moreover, an increase in serotonin and a hormone called oxytocin may lessen the severity of pain associated with nerve compression.(6)
7. Improves Muscle Tone
Massage can help reduce the tone of the muscles and relax them. (3)
8. Facilitates Lymph Flow
Our lymphatic system is a network of vessels, which functions to drain the lymph from the tissues into the blood. Regular remedial massage can help promote the flow of lymph, which, in turn, eliminates toxins from the body.
Open Academic References List
- Brummitt J. The Role of Massage in Sports Performance and Rehabilitation: Current Evidence and Future Direction. North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy : NAJSPT. 2008;3(1):7-21.
- Weerapong P, Hume PA, Kolt GS. The mechanisms of massage and effects on performance, muscle recovery and
injury prevention. Sports Medicine. 2005;35(3):235-56.
- Jane SW, Chen SL, Wilkie DJ et al. Effects of massage on pain, mood status, relaxation, and sleep in Taiwanese patients
with metastatic bone pain: a randomized clinical trial. Pain. 2011;152(10):2432-42. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2011.06.021.
- Field T, Hernandez-Reif M, Diego M, Schanberg S, Kuhn C. Cortisol decreases and serotonin and dopamine increase
following massage therapy. Int J Neurosci. 2005;115(10):1397-413.
- Diego MA, Field T, Sanders C, Hernandez-Reif M. Massage therapy of moderate and light pressure and vibrator effects
on EEG and heart rate. Int J Neurosci. 2004;114(1):31-44.
- Madenci E, Altindag O, Koca I, Yilmaz M, and Gur A. Reliability and efficacy of the new massage technique on the treatment in the patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. Rheumatol Int. 2012; 32(10): 3171–3179.
30% DISCOUNT ON THE FIRST 30 MINUTES OF REMEDIAL MESSAGE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Pro-Fit Physio & Allied Health Centre begins this promotion on 20 August 2018 - valid until 31 October 2018 | 30% discount on remedial massage is applicable only for the first visit to the centre, each subsequent session must be paid at standard centre rates | The standard non-promotional cost of a remedial massage is $90 for an hour | Customer must mention viewing Google, Facebook or Bing ad or present a printed coupon to receive 30% discount| The massage is conducted by a highly qualified and experienced massage therapist.