Ask our psychologists how they can help you
How can our psychology services help you
The aim of our experts is to tackle the following psychological and emotional turmoils in a friendly, trusted, and empathic surrounding:
DEPRESSION, GRIEF AND LOSS
While grief is a transient gloomy phase, major depressive disorder (MDD) is labeled when feelings of worthlessness, loss of appetite, suicidal thoughts, and certain other symptoms are present consistently for a 2-week period along with interference of your daily functions such as getting out of bed or going to work.
Depression is one of the major causes of disability worldwide. It can take a heavy toll on both the mental and physical aspects of your wellbeing. Severe depression can end up in suicide, making it the fourth leading cause of death in Australia.3 It needs to be treated aggressively both via medications and psychotherapy.
There are several types of anxiety disorders. All of them share feelings of undue fear/worry and anxiety-related physical symptoms like difficulty breathing, palpitations, etc. Some of the important anxiety disorders include:
- Generalised anxiety disorder: Excessive anxiety, present for most days of a 6-month period
- Panic attack: A sudden episode of intense fear and related symptoms that reach a peak within minutes
- Panic disorder: Recurrent panic attacks
- Phobias: Exaggerated fears that are beyond the norm. For instance:
- Fear of being socialised, termed as a social anxiety disorder
- Excessive fear of public places like shopping malls, which makes you avoid such places, referred to as agoraphobia
Although an experienced psychiatrist will better manage these problems, our professionals at Pro-fit Physio can help facilitate the recovery via counselling and expert guidance.
POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD)
The flashbacks of frightful memories from a traumatic incident such as a car accident or a combat can wreak havoc on an individual’s quality of life. Our skilled practitioners at Pro-fit Physio acknowledge that talking therapy is as important as trauma-focused psychotherapy to help you teach some coping strategies that can extinguish the associated fear and anxiety.
The two major eating disorders are anorexia and bulimia nervosa. Both conditions share a common feature of being abnormally scared of gaining weight, which leads to excessive dieting and purging in anorexia and bulimia respectively. If not treated on time, eating disorders can pose a plethora of grave health risks such as malnutrition, cardiac arrest, kidney failure, erosion of teeth, damage to the lining of the food-pipe (aka esophagus), and so on so forth.
Apart from a team of counsellors, Pro-fit Physio also has dietetics and weight loss specialists to help deal with eating disorders.
ADDICTION AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE
Alcohol and tobacco smoking are the most common substances abused in Australia. The National Drug Strategy Australian Household Survey carried out in 2016, revealed illicit drug use by about 3.1 million natives, amongst which the most common substance abused by students aged between 12 and 17 years was cannabis.4 While your physicians refer you to rehabilitation and abstinence programs, Pro-fit Physio also provides tips to muddle through the cravings and speed up the recovery.
CHRONIC PAIN MANAGEMENT
Chronic physical pain can pack quite a punch on your mental health. Psychotherapy—specifically cognitive behavior therapy—is the core of treating psychological issues that accompany chronic painful conditions.5
Pro-fit Physio also covers child psychology services for:
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Poor social skills
- Emotional and anger-management problems
- Low self-esteem
- Learning disabilities
In children suffering from behavioural issues, CBT is geared towards filling the deficits in emotional control as well as teaching problem-solving and mature defense-coping skills to overcome aggressive conduct when necessary.6
Our expert therapists understand that sometimes the root cause of behaviour problems in your child can be low self-esteem. They will thus work with you and your child to build-up self-confidence, reinforce etiquette but deter undesirable behaviours in your kid, and optimise parent-child communication.
Histories of abuse and trauma deserve a special attention at our centre. WorkCover cases are accepted.
Open Academic References List
- Mission Australia Youth Survey Report 2017. Action urgently needed to stem rising youth mental illness. Published: 18 April 2017. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Mission Australia. Mental health now the top national concern for Australian young people. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Minas H, Klimidis S, Kokanovic R. Depression in multicultural Australia: Policies, research and services. Australia and New Zealand Health Policy. 2007;4:16. doi:10.1186/1743-8462-4-16.
- Australian Government Department of Health. Drug trends and statistics. National Drug Strategy Household Survey 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Songer D. Psychotherapeutic Approaches in the Treatment of Pain. Psychiatry (Edgmont). 2005;2(5):19-24.
- Sukhodolsky DG, Smith SD, McCauley SA, Ibrahim K, Piasecka JB. Behavioral Interventions for Anger, Irritability, and Aggression in Children and Adolescents. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 2016;26(1):58-64. doi:10.1089/cap.2015.0120.